Fiveways Surgery at Taringa Fiveways
Until the middle of the 1940s, apart from residential properties, there existed a retail butcher on one north east comer and a retail grocery on another. In early post WWII the property on the north east corner was acquired by Dr Cecil Sinnamon who had been a pharmacist in Toowoomba. Dr Sinnamon established a building which housed a medical practice and Dental practice with a common waiting room. Also establish were a pharmacy (Eleanor Chalmers), a butcher and a post office in lndooroopilly Road. The original butchery premises was moved to the back of the building and a retail fruiterer, later a barber and then office and storage for the medical surgery.
Dr Sinnamon was very soon joined by Dr Harold Forbes and later by Dr Colin Plint who joined as an associate enabling Dr Sinnamon to pursue his training bacteriology and Dr Forbes in paediatrics.
Dr Bruce Biggs, while an RMO in Townsville Hospital in 1954 was invited to join the practice and joined in 1955.
Dr Bill Orford was invited to join the practice when the increasing case load required extra practitioners and, at a later date, Dr Ross Monahan from Dalby joined. After many years Dr Orford left to establish a solo practice.
The property was eventually acquired by Mr Eddie Power in the 1970s and he relocated the medical practice temporarily to the residence next door until a brand-new building was constructed. Moving into the new premises enabled the partnership to invite Dr Tony Roebuck to join and then Dr Simon Carter took over Dr Monahan’s share on his retirement. Dr Bruce Biggs retired a year or more later and Dr Neil Chorley took his share however he subsequently resigned to set up a rural medical practice in far western Queensland.