Until the middle of the 1940s, apart from residential properties, there existed a retail butcher on one north east comer and a retail grocery on another. In early post WWII the property on the north east corner was acquired by Dr Cecil Sinnamon who had been a pharmacist in Toowoomba. Dr Sinnamon established a building which housed a medical practice and Dental practice with a common waiting room. Also establish were a pharmacy (Eleanor Chalmers), a butcher and a post office in lndooroopilly Road. The original butchery premises was moved to the back of the building and a retail fruiterer, later a barber and then office and storage for the medical surgery.
Dr Sinnamon was very soon joined by Dr Harold Forbes and later by Dr Colin Plint who joined as an associate enabling Dr Sinnamon to pursue his training bacteriology and Dr Forbes in paediatrics.
Dr Bruce Biggs, while an RMO in Townsville Hospital in 1954 was invited to join the practice and joined in 1955.
Dr Bill Orford was invited to join the practice when the increasing case load required extra practitioners and, at a later date, Dr Ross Monahan from Dalby joined. After many years Dr Orford left to establish a solo practice.
The property was eventually acquired by Mr Eddie Power in the 1970s and he relocated the medical practice temporarily to the residence next door until a brand-new building was constructed. Moving into the new premises enabled the partnership to invite Dr Tony Roebuck to join and then Dr Simon Carter took over Dr Monahan’s share on his retirement. Dr Bruce Biggs retired a year or more later and Dr Neil Chorley took his share however he subsequently resigned to set up a rural medical practice in far western Queensland.
Care Outside Normal Opening Hours
- We provide after-hours medical care through the Australian After Hours Doctors. They can be contacted by phoning 1300 HOME DR (4663 37). You can also contact the Wesley Hospital Emergency Centre on 3232 7333.
Home & Other Visits
- We prefer to consult with patients at the surgery where full diagnostic and treatment facilities are accessible.
- Home visits are available for regular patients who live within 3km of this practice.
- whose condition prevents them from attending the surgery.
- A private fee is charged for this service.
- Incoming telephone calls to the doctors are restricted to matters of medical urgency.
- GPs in the practice may be contacted during normal surgery hours.
- If the GP is with a patient, a message will be taken and the reception staff will advise you when it is likely that the GP will return your call.
- Your call will always be put through to the GP in an emergency.
Pathology Tests & Investigations
- All incoming pathology and radiology results and specialist letters are reviewed by the doctors.
- Please make an appointment to obtain results and to plan further follow-up care.
- Our reception staff cannot provide a patient with medical results.
- We are committed to promoting and providing preventive strategies to protect your health.
- Where appropriate the doctors utilise GP Management Plans, Team Care Arrangements, Health Assessments and computer-based reminder systems to coordinate planned investigations and review appointments.
Patient Reminder Systems
- Your doctor will seek your permission to be included on our reminder system or the relevant state reminder system.
- We may issue you with a reminder notice from time to time offering you preventive health services appropriate to your care.
- If you do not wish to be part of this system please let your doctor or receptionist know.
Referrals & Repeat Prescriptions
- In the best interests of your health, please make an appointment in anticipation of renewing prescriptions or a referral to a consultant.
- Telephone requests will require a minimum of 72 hours notice for a doctor to respond.
- A fee may be charged for this service.
Transfer of Patient Records
- For medico-legal reasons we are not able to send your original medical record to another practice.
- Upon receipt of a formal request for transfer to another doctor, we will prepare and send a concise health summary along with copies of any relevant results and documents.
- A fee may be charged for this service.
- Your medical record is a confidential document. It is the policy of this practice to maintain security of personal health information at all times and to ensure that this information is only available to authorised members of staff.
- We abide by the national Privacy Principles available at www.privacy.gov.au/health/index.html.
- A copy is available at reception.
Your Feedback Is Welcome
- We take your compliments, concerns, suggestions and complaints seriously.
- If at any time you experience problems or difficulties with regards to this practice, please talk to your doctor or our Practice Manager about your concerns.
- The Office of the Health Ombudsman is also available on 133 646
Why Fiveways Surgery Exists
We are transitioning from general practice to a healthcare centre and are now offering a unique healthcare experience through innovative and integrated healthcare. We want patients to share with their friends and family how great their experience is with us.
Our aim is to improve the patient experience by utilising purpose-built
technology (My Health Consult), offering a range of health services and programs for specific health needs, making it easy for them to access and engage with quality healthcare content online.
We Are Here To Help
Please remember we are here to help you. We aim to work with you in caring for your health and we place high value on the patient-doctor partnership.
Courtesy, compassion and high-quality medical care are the keys to achieving the best results for your healthcare needs.